Sunday, December 4, 2016

February in Tasmania

I spent all of February and March, 2011,  in Tasmania. Because I had plenty of time, and the distances are so short, I could be in selected places when the weather was good. There are lots of free or very cheap camping areas in Tasmania, many small villages encouraging people to stay one or two nights. Many camping grounds gave me a cheaper price for 1 person.

During Feruary I went to Cradle Mountain,









Strahn on the west coast,







Port Arthur, Huon Valley and Bruny Island.

Bruny Island


I had one day of spectacular weather on Bruny Island and one day when it was very cold and wet. Unfortunately, that was the day I had booked to do a boat cruise. It was still excellent but I was very cold by the time I got back to the caravan park.










Port Arthur
There is so much to see at Port Arthur, that I took a two day ticket.  Apart from the historical significance, it is also quite scenic.

Huon Valley

The Midlands highway which connects Launceston and Hobart has bypassed many lovely towns. Ross has a caravan park on the river and Oatlands has a free camp beside their lake. It's the place to see lots of swans.


Oatlands is a beautiful town with Georgian buildings and dry stone walled fences.

No comments:

Post a Comment